Invisalign clear aligners were introduced years ago; in their early years, the type of malocclusion they could correct was somewhat limited. However, with the enhancements that have been made, more and more people are now candidates for this innovative orthodontic treatment.
The advantages of Invisalign are numerous:
- They are transparent – this is a critical factor for many especially teenagers and young professionals.
- They are removable – this translates into being able to enjoy all the foods you love as the aligners are removed for snacks and meals.
- Daily oral hygiene made easy – since there are no permanent bands or brackets to contend with, the patient can floss and brush daily without any encumbrances.
- They are comfortable – there is no metal or wires to cause abrasions.
- Hygiene appointments are easier – Seeing your dentist every six months for a thorough cleaning is much easier to complete as aligners are removed for this appointment.
There are rules to be followed just as with any other orthodontic program. The aligners must be worn a minimum of twenty to twenty-two hours each day to complete treatment in the designated time frame.
Invisalign clear aligners are fabricated in a series to be updated every two weeks. The Invisalign technicians will utilize 3-D digital technology with the photos, x-rays, and dental impressions sent to them by your dentist.
Each aligner is customized to gently shift teeth. If worn as instructed, each successive aligner will work to straighten your teeth. Failure to follow the designated time frame as outlined by your dentist can add months to your treatment time.
Teeth straightening with Invisalign is both comfortable and convenient; however, there are a couple of cautions to remember. When dining out, do not place your aligner in anything but the container provided for that purpose. Many people will wrap the retainer in a napkin and accidentally throw it away. This can be a very costly mistake.
Since they are so easily removed, be conscientious enough to remember to replace the aligner right away after eating, snacking, or hygiene care.
At the conclusion of treatment, a retainer will be provided. This is possibly one of the most critical aspects of your treatment. The retainer is designed to help your teeth develop a memory of their new location – wearing it as prescribed by your dentist will help to solidify your new smile.
To find out if you are a candidate for Invisalign, contact our skilled dental team today and schedule your professional consultation.